Alumni are graduates of Educational institutions. Alumni Associations are the organisations for graduates. They play a great role in undergraduates and graduates lives. They allow keeping in touch with old friends and give possibilities for self realization. Alumni may support their former universities.
Universities worldwide have relied on the generosity of their alumni to help in:-
- Building campuses
- Giving awards to graduands
- Giving scholarships to students
- Renovating and creating new laboratories
- Volunteering in community service activities
- Using skills in staffing resource centre
- Raising funds for charitable causes
- Resource mobilisation
- Market the university
- Refurbishing of infrastructures
- Ploughing back to the institutions
- Partnerships in development
- The university’s ambassador
- Help students in job placement
- Sponsoring sporting activities
- A Sense of belonging
- Get platform to talk to students e.g at orientations
- Invited to university events
- Partnership with the university
- Gaining prestige from owning valuable degree from successful university
- Enhancing career prospects by net working
- Get alumni magazines, newsletters etc.
Benefits for Alumni
- Getting alumni events calendar
- Getting news and other alumni profiles
- Networking with others
- Getting alumni magazines
- Invited during special university events
- Being members of the alumni community development initiatives
Women’s University in Africa Chairperson is Mrs Jestina Gava whose profile is tabled below:-
JESTINA GAVA’s PROFILE
Jestina Gava is a former student of the Women’s University in Africa who obtained an Advanced Diploma in Office Administration in 2005. Prior to WUA qualification, she had also obtained a higher Secretarial Diploma with the Trust Academy, Harare in 2003.
In 2005, she obtained a Management and Administration certificate with ESAMI in South Africa, Durban and in 2006 Jestina qualified in Office Tools and E-Commerce and obtained a certificate in India, New Delhi.
In 2007 while still working in the Ministry of Education, Sports Arts and Culture, she obtained a BSc in Management and Entrepreneur Development Studies and specialized in Marketing. In 2008, she was appointed Marketing Manager at the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC), a position she holds up until today.
In 2010 November, she was among the 27 students who was awarded an Executive Masters in Business Administration at a colourful ceremony in Arusha, Tanzania (ESAMI).
Currently, she has enrolled for Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) with the Netherlands University, which run its programs in conjunction with ESAMI, Tanzania. She is also studying French as the 4th Language; adding to Shona, English, and Ndebele.
Jestina Gava was privileged to travel to countries such as India, Egypt, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Tunisia either on management courses or sporting activities.
Jestina Gava sits in various committees, such as ZIFA Marketing Sub Committee, Women and Sport Foundation, Marketing Association of Zimbabwe and is a chairlady of CHAIN women’s business projects.
Currently, she is the chairperson of the Women’s University Alumni Association.
Reading, Research, Gospel music, and sport.